Subject: Beige G3 / 1.6.1 GENERIC_MD kernel does not boot
To: None <port-macppc@NetBSD.org>
From: Simon Vallet <netbsd_user@castalie.org>
List: port-macppc
Date: 12/08/2003 13:32:20
Hi,

I'm currently trying to install NetBSD on a Beige G3 RevII (OF 2.4).
CD-ROM and floppy booting have failed, but HFS booting seems promising.

The XCOFF bootloaders seems to load OK, giving me some info, but it
can't load the kernel, telling me :
mac-parts: "\file" must follow the comma after the partition number
and:
XXX: Inappropriate file type or format

I tried many different settings for boot-file, with compressed and
uncompressed kernel, all giving me the same error:
netbsd.gz
,\netbsd.gz
ide0/disk@0:5,/netbsd.gz
netbsd
,\netbsd
ide0/disk@0:5,/netbsd
(and the upper case versions as well)

I know the partition is the good one (because the XCOFF bootloader is
bootable ? If yes, what would explain the "Inappropriate file type or
format" error message ?

My setup is the following:
load-base 600000
real-base F00000