Subject: Re: ofwboot.xcf issues
To: Izumi Tsutsui <tsutsui@ceres.dti.ne.jp>
From: Luke Mewburn <lukem@NetBSD.org>
List: port-macppc
Date: 11/30/2003 23:29:17
On Sat, Nov 29, 2003 at 02:41:45PM +0900, Izumi Tsutsui wrote:
  | What I said is that we have to sync DEFAULT_ENTRY_POINT in bootxx
  | and RELOC (which is also passed to ld for TEXT address) in ofwboot.

How hard is it to parse RELOC out of ofwboot ?
If it's easy, then installboot/arch/macppc.c could read "boot" from
the root of the file system, parse RELOC, frob an extended version
of the shared_bbinfo params block in bootxx (to replace DEFAULT_ENTRY_POINT),
and then the two values would be in sync.

Of course, if possible we actually want to move away from the "bbinfo"
style bootblock to one where bootxx knows how to read the file system
to find /boot, so this approach wouldn't work for that goal.

Another approach is to pass the DEFAULT_ENTRY_POINT from bootxx to
ofwboot via a register or flag, and have a DEFAULT if that isn't set.
Do all macppc boxes use bootxx to load ofwboot, or just the older OF1
and OF2 boxes?

Luke.