Subject: problem with netboot
To: None <port-macppc@NetBSD.org>
From: Niels Bergsma [Het Vestzaktheater Enschede] <n.bergsma@hetvestzaktheater.nl>
List: port-macppc
Date: 11/22/2003 23:09:50
Hi all!,

I seem to have a problem with booting NetBSD v1.6.1 MacPPC over the net...
I'm trying to set my old Apple powermac 8500 to boot from network.

Some info about my mac and what I did so far...

It has Open Firmware v1.0.5
I set up to real-base to F00000
I seems not have a problem with /dev/chaos (I connected a VGA display and
it had no problem displaying openfirmware)
The MAC is connected to an x86 FreeBSD 5.1 server that also is used to
boot diskless sparc station's 5 with NetBSD (so... tftpd and nfs are setup
correctly)
my /etc/bootptab is looking like this:
--------
mac.blackrozes:\
	:ht=ether:\
	:ha=000502241400:\
	:sm=255.255.255.0:\
	:lg=192.168.0.1:\
	:ip=192.168.0.108:\
	:hn:\
	:bf=netbsd.gz:\
	:bs=auto:\
	:rp=/mac/:\
	:vm=auto:
	:vm=rfc1048:
----------
futher: I made a directory /mac, copied netbsd.macppc to it...
I copied owfboot.xcf to /tftpboot
Changed bf entry to bf=/mac/netbsd.gz
Add an arp entry... (arp -s ipaddress hwaddressmac)

***The problem***

When I open the Open Firmware and type: boot enet:, ofwboot.xcf the
bootloader loads and tries to catch a kernel, without any luck. It
complains it can't open an kernel: unknown error 13 ?!?

Is this a bug maybe are do I seem to forget something?

I also tried to unzip the kernel / use different kernels (like
netbsd-GENERIC.gz) tried netbsd v1.5.2. but everything doesn't help :-(

Thanks,

--
Niels Bergsma
Hoofdtechniek Het Vestzaktheater Enschede