Subject: RE: OpenFirmware & XFree on a 7300
To: 'Alex Zepeda' <zipzippy@sonic.net>
From: Evertz NetBSD <evertz-netbsd@evertz.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 11/07/2003 16:03:29
> On Fri, Nov 07, 2003 at 01:49:37PM -0500, Evertz NetBSD wrote:
>
> > I noticed some sort of mmap problem a while back playing
> with a G4 digital
> > audio.
>
> I doubt this is the same problem (altho it may be the same
> type of problem).  The
> sound driver does not implement the mmap command, so if you
> have a program which
> expects to be able to mmap /dev/{audio,dsp} it will fail.

I was merely trying to identify the particular model of G4.  I meant playing
with XFree86 on the factory installed ATI video card.

Actually, on further reflection, I think it had something to do with whether
a monitor was attached at powerup or not.  I think it goes to the not
working state if the monitor isn't attached.  Booting to macos (obviously
with a monitor attached) puts it back to working.  I dunno, haven't used it
in a while.  Just thought it might give someone a hint as to what's wrong
with their setup, or a workaround.

Gregory