Subject: Re: OpenFirmware & XFree on a 7300
To: ML <ml@rz.uni-potsdam.de>
From: Nat Friesen <natfriesen@shaw.ca>
List: port-macppc
Date: 11/07/2003 12:40:35
> I have the same error with a voodoo3, had something similar with a IMS
> tt3d.
> The tt3d doesn't work because its driver needs the vesahw module which
> isn't built under NetBSD/ppc, the voodoo3 needs the vgahw module which
> is built but seems to expect the VGA registers at some other place than
> OpenFirmware would map them - and I'm not sure if OF maps them into
> memory or whatever - the bad map thing comes from the code that tries
> to save the VGA textmode stuff, like character- and attribute RAM, font
> and so on which can't work on NetBSD/macppc because it never uses text
> mode ( not the VGA text mode anyway ). I disabled this code and got the
> voodoo3 to work - but /only/ in the mode OF configures which is 640x480
> in 16bit here - works well, but it's not the resolution I want.

I have the same problem with a Voodoo3 in my 7300. OF and the NetBSD
console work fine but I can't get X to work because of mmap errors.
Could you tell me what you did in order to get this combo to work? Or am
I misunderstanding and you only had text output too?

Thanks in advance,

--
Nat Friesen
natfriesen@shaw.ca