Subject: Re: OpenFirmware & XFree on a 7300
To: Andreas Drewke <andreas_dr@gmx.de>
From: ML <ml@rz.uni-potsdam.de>
List: port-macppc
Date: 11/07/2003 18:04:32
Hello,

> I have exacly this MMAP error too on a ATI Rage 128 and on a Voodoo3.
> Somebody needs to track the problem down, it is for sure a bug or missing
> code in the NetBSD MacPPC.
>
> But I could both use them for OpenFirmware output, although the Voodoo had
> some Endianness problems...
>
> Anyway, I have no monitor on my 7300 now in order to tell you exaclty what
> variables I set, but I can tell you it works.

I have the same error with a voodoo3, had something similar with a IMS tt3d.
The tt3d doesn't work because its driver needs the vesahw module which isn't built under NetBSD/ppc, the voodoo3 needs the vgahw module which is built but seems to expect the VGA registers at some other place than OpenFirmware would map them - and I'm not sure if OF maps them into memory or whatever - the bad map thing comes from the code that tries to save the VGA textmode stuff, like character- and attribute RAM, font and so on which can't work on NetBSD/macppc because it never uses text mode ( not the VGA text mode anyway ). I disabled this code and got the voodoo3 to work - but /only/ in the mode OF configures which is 640x480 in 16bit here - works well, but it's not the resolution I want.
So, the solution would be to hack the vgahw module so it accesses the VGA registers correctly - I may do that eventually but I don't really have all the knowledge I need so it may take quite a long time until there's a result - if there will ever be any, and then it would probably work only on voodoo3.

So - does X11 currently work on /any/ graphics board right now?

have fun
Michael