Subject: Re: xfree with ati r128 pro dies on g3 tower
To: M L Riechers <mlr@rse.com>
From: None <richard@uclinux.net>
List: port-macppc
Date: 11/07/2003 18:11:54

> Hookey.  I did some checking into how X for macpcc is set up for
> 1.6.1, and as far as I can tell, this distro is a bit "unusual."  The
> mac has open firmware to set up a device tree, so theoretically your
> "ATI Rage 128 RE (PCI)" ought to be found in that.

It is found by OF-2.4...

I can also switch to it as default screen...but only with 640x480
resolution...doesn't keep resolution changes permanent..so I can't
use my lovely GDM20D10 Sun monitor :-(

> OTOH, the Rage 128 would appear to be just about the number 1 choice
> of X macppc users, so it must work somewhere. So, I'd start looking in
> other directions.

I would have no problems with onboard ATI mach64 chipset...
but suddenly xfree handles only pixmaps correctly and rest is
garbled...also only detects 4MB of memory instead of 6MB...but
I guess it only runs with "power of 2" memory configs...

> Starting with, exactly how did you compile or get X?  There appears to
> be a special way to compile X for mac, on 1.6.1 anyway, to include
> NetBSD changes.  (Maybe that's why my PR's got yawns -- mmmmap simply
> isn't used, or is used in a way consistant with the way it's written.)

Just installed 1.6.1 including xfree from net...only tried compiling
1.6.1 and 1.6ZE kernel with "insecure" option...

> Did you check out the URL:
>
> NetBSD/macppc X11 FAQ at http://www.netbsd.org/Ports/macppc/x11.html

many times (o;

> Is your PCI bridge a uninorth?  This, at first glance, seems to be the
> only bridge supported under 1.6.1.  Could be wrong, however.  But
> check it out.

It's a grackle pci bridge..

>   (ftp://ftp.NetBSD.org/pub/NetBSD/arch/macppc/snapshot/20030909-1.6Z/).

Just tried this one...

Not even able to boot my G3 tower ...

"DEFAULT CATCH"...blah...

Basically I thought in the beginning that I might spend less time using
NetBSD on my G3 as a cross-development platform for mpc8260...but looks
like I was wrong (o;

Think I'm gonna switch back to OSX or some LinuxPPC for my G3 for this
purpose...

rick