Subject: 6500 of ide detection
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Ryan Rotter <twentyonebeads@yahoo.co.uk>
List: port-macppc
Date: 11/02/2003 20:29:07
I just got a PMac 6500 and installed a 20 GB ide drive in it.  I
managed to boot from the floppy dirve to install off of a cd (the cd
won't boot) after installing NetBSD I went back to the Open Firmware
prompt and found that Open Firmware can't see my hard disk.  Other
posts that I've seen about booting the 6500 say to use a boot command
like:
	0 > boot ata/ata-disk@0:0
If I use ls to show the device tree I see the ata bus
(/bandit/ohare/ata) but it has no children.
boot ata produces DEFAULT CATCH! The same error appears if you enter a
nonsenceical boot command like boot kbd.
If I try
boot ata/ata-disk
OF says it can't find the device.

After booting off an OS 8 cd I found that Apple's drive setup can't see
the drive either.

Any ideas?