Subject: Re: more Pulsar/S900 woes
To: Jeff Walther <trag@io.com>
From: ML <ml@rz.uni-potsdam.de>
List: port-macppc
Date: 09/27/2003 08:25:18
> >  I have two graphics boards - A Matrox Millennium II and a IMS TwinTurbo 3d,
> >  both work correctly only in a PCI-slot controlled by bandit, maybe
> >a driver issue
> >  under MacOS, who knows.
>
> Do you mean an IMS Ultimate Rez card?  There was no Twin Turbo 3D,
> unless they marketed a different card under that name outside the US.
No idea, I bought it used in germany. OF sees it as IMS,tt3d the chip is labeled 'Twin Turbo 128 3d', the ROM says 'Apple iX 3d 1.01'

> The Twin Turbo has no 3D capability and works well in the Pulsar.
> The chip on the Ult. Rez. card is labeled TT 128 - 3D though.
ok, then it's an Ultimate Rez.

> The Ult. Rez. card has problems in the lower (PPB) slots under Mac
> OS.  However, I've found this to be a driver issue.
Yep, I can confirm this. The MacOS driver hangs occasionally if the card is behind the PCI bridge. ( and it hangs reproducable when you try to change resolution )

> Also, I'm not sure how it affects BSD, but the Apple ROM'ed Twin
> Turbo works better under OSX than the IMS ROM'ed Twin Turbo.
Well, this has an Apple ROM. Gives an OF text console. I'll try the generic kernel again, all newer kernels compiled from CVS were quite unusable...

> In theory, there should not be any difference in compatibility
> between Bandit and PPB slots.  However, there is definitely a bug in
> the Apple firmware (ROM) with respect to PCI-PCI Bridges.
Yep. The Millennium II drivers didn't work at all behind the bridge, a Millennium I did.

have fun
Michael