Subject: Re: Recent macppc kernels hang under load
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Ian Fry <Ian.Fry@sophos.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 09/16/2003 12:52:00
On Mon, Sep 15, 2003 at 09:28:04AM -0700, Chuck Silvers wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 15, 2003 at 10:22:35AM +0100, Ian Fry wrote:
> > On Sun, Aug 31, 2003 at 03:06:12AM -0500, Dave Huang wrote:
> > > Well, I'd get random SIGILLs, but the kernel never died...
> > I've seen this too, when trying to build Mozilla on my G3 iBook - the
> > build runs for maybe 10 or 15 minutes, and then then X restarts (it looks
> > like the X server gets killed, rather than any of the compiler processes).
> > I turned on the logsigexit sysctl and that reported SIGILL killed the
> > process.
> hmm, so the non-MP case has problems too.  I was hoping that it was
> an MP-only bug.

Yes, indeed.

> > I can't remember when this started happening, but the only time I see this
> > is trying to build Mozilla - just a plain 'make' is enough to trigger the
> > problem for me.
> ok, I'll try that as well when I get back to this.

I did another experiment last night, and I managed to do a complete build
of Mozilla - however, this time, there were fewer processes running -
basically just an xterm in which I was doing the build, Xconsole and the
Xserver. Running another process or two seems to be enough to trigger the
problem - vncviewer seems to do it every time for me. I guess this means that
more memory is in use. FWIW, this machine has 384M of RAM, and around
double that configured for swap.

> > Is there anything I can do to help track this down? I'll try adding
> > DEBUG and DIAGNOSTIC to my kernel tonight and give it another go.
> this kind of low-level problem isn't covered very well by the debug
> code, alas.  but maybe you'll see any other symptoms that will be more
> enlightening.

Hmmm, plus, getting into DDB is kinda difficult when running X...

Ian.