Subject: Re: Another FS/disk question....
To: Donald Lee <MacPPC@caution.icompute.com>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
List: port-macppc
Date: 07/15/2003 13:16:26
On Wed, 9 Jul 2003, Donald Lee wrote:

> My Beige G3 has 2 Seagate Cuda's (80Gb) in it.  One
> on the internal IDE bus, and the other is on a Sonnett ATA/133
> card.
>
> This is an OF 2.4 machine (Cool!).  It boots, even!
>
> When it boots, I tell OF that it should boot from "ide0/@0,0" (I think...
> It's ide0 in any case)
>
> This worked fine until I put in the PCI ATA/133 card.  Now the Cuda on the
> PCI card comes up under NetBSD as wd0, though OF still sees it as
> /pci@xxx/blah/blah/blah.  So my "boot" drive to OF comes up as /dev/wd1.
>
> What I did was simply change /etc/fstab to get /, /usr, and /home from
> /dev/wd1a, wd1g, and wd1h.
>
> My question is: is this a stable, reliable setup?
>
> Did I do it right?

Well, if it boots, it's probably ok.

However, what you can do is add this to your kernel config:

wdc0 at obio? flags0x1			# this is the standard one
wd0  at wdc0 channel 0 drive 0		# assuming the channel and drive
					# are right

Then wd0 will always be internal drive 0.

I use a comparable thing to keep sd0 in the same place.

Take care,

Bill