Subject: Re: open firmware 1.0.5
To: michael@nosflow.com, Erik Osheim <erik@plastic-idolatry.com>
From: Henry B. Hotz <hotz@jpl.nasa.gov>
List: port-macppc
Date: 07/07/2003 16:03:17
At 8:41 AM -0700 6/27/03, Michael Wolfson wrote:
>At 3:55 AM -0400 6/27/03, Erik Osheim wrote:
>
>:)After struggling for a couple of days, I managed to get an 8500/120 to
>:)boot a custom-built CD. The problem, as it turned out, was that OF was
>:)appending ";1" to all the filenames, so the command ended up looking
>:)like:
>:)
>:)scsi-int/sd@3:0,OFWBOOT.XCF;1 NETBSD.GZ;1
>
>Yes, that's been in the INSTALL notes for a while now (about the ;1).

Don't know what's in the notes, but I thought this was an issue with
the ISO standard, not with OF.  The ISO CD-ROM standard requires
filenames to be 8.3;1 format (8 char's, ".", 3 char's, ";", version
number).  You can generate CD's without the appended version number,
but then they don't meet all the ISO requirements anymore.

OF isn't smart enough to default the version number to "1" if you
leave it off.  Otherwise it's not OF's fault.