Subject: Lack of Ethernet support on an iBook SE?
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: David H. Gutteridge <dhgutteridge@hotmail.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 06/26/2003 16:45:24
Hello,

I booted NetBSD/macppc 1.6.1 off the installation CD last night,
and found that it didn't recognize my Ethernet card.  The machine
in question is an iBook SE (graphite) from mid-2000.  Everything
else of relevance works fine (that is, audio presumably doesn't,
nor does the modem, but neither are of concern to me), but I
can't do without Ethernet.

I can't grab a full dmesg off the machine (unless I manually typed
it all out), since I have no removable storage, and obviously I can't
FTP it off -- no Ethernet or modem.  The relevant line in the dmesg
appears to be:

vendor 0x106b product 0x0021 (ethernet network) at pci2 dev 15
function 0 not configured

When I tried using the "configure network" option under the utilities
section of the installer, it reports:

"I cannot find any network interfaces for use by NetBSD."

Has anyone else experienced this problem?  Alternately, has anyone
successfully installed 1.6.1 on an iBook SE (or another iBook of a similar
vintage)?  I'm new to NetBSD, perhaps the kernel on the install disc
doesn't have support compiled in for the particular Ethernet device on
my machine?  (It's a GMAC card, that's listed as being supported on
the NetBSD site.)

Regards,

David Gutteridge