Subject: unaligned float loads give SIGBUS on 1.6
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Marco van de Voort <marcov@dragon.stack.nl>
List: port-macppc
Date: 05/31/2003 12:54:05
This message may be somewhat related to the "eliminate floating point moves"
thread a few months ago.

[[We are in the process of porting an Open Source compiler to PowerPC, and are
currently busy doing the port to Linux/ppc and netBSD/(mac)ppc, though
Darwin/OS X is a target too.]

As test machines we have among others some 603's and a 604e, and one fast
G4.

We noticed that under Linux, if on a 603 (a 4400 or starmax eq) one does a
floating point load from a not 8 byte aligned address, the OS will correct
this, while NetBSD (1.6, but I really want to hear 1.6.1 is better) will
throw SIGBUS.

Is this desired behaviour or a not-yet-implemented feature on behalf of
NetBSD?

[[I know such a handler isn't very optimal, but we need to distribute this
program at least partly in binary, even in the ports tree. It would be
nice to not have to consider "special" cases for the bootstrapcompiler]