Subject: Re: Xserver usuability
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Miles Nordin <carton@Ivy.NET>
List: port-macppc
Date: 05/26/2003 23:14:24
> How does NetBSD/macppc performs on an Xserve?

I'm using it now, and it sorta works okay.

Between 1.6 and 1.6.1 the distribution seems to have switched from the
NetBSD Sane Framebuffer Architecture to the XFree86 4.x i386_iopl
architecture.  On my Powerbook 2400c I could not get the XFree86
shizzit to work at all, some nonsense about ``could not map linear
somethingorother''.  I tried 'option "nolinear"' or whatever but lost
patience almost instantly.

The old 1.6 Xmacppc works fine but it is 8-bit only, and it is
creepily slow at loading colormaps.  Of course there is no
acceleration support because this is an openfirmware framebuffer
server.  Also trackpad tapping is unsupported.  and the meta key
doesn't work, i still haven't figured out why.  xev shows key repeat
events from the meta and alt keys which may or may not have something
to do with it.  key repeat is soft i think, which means you get that
occasional double-keypress glitch if the kernel has too much latency
in scheduling the X server, ex. while ifconfig-up'ing a pcmcia card.
and Xwrapper is missing although I never really understood what that
program did anyway.  On desktops this X server may be unacceptable
because I've heard rumors it's locked to 640x480x8bpp.

so never minding Xmacppc I think your answer is the X server is the
usual flakey poorly-architected bloated XFree86 that everyone else is
using, except that it doesn't work as well because the XFree86
developers don't release-engineeer the Mac as well.  You'll have to
ask about your specific macintosh and some specific build of XFree86.

I dunno nothing about that hardware raid.

--
Cottage cheese is one of our culture's most visible symbols of
self-denial; marketed honestly, it would appear in dairy cases with