Subject: Re: Long overdue Partitioning HOW-TO update
To: None <michael@nosflow.com>
From: Jens Schmalzing <jens.schmalzing@physik.uni-muenchen.de>
List: port-macppc
Date: 05/14/2003 12:32:36
Hi,

Michael Wolfson writes:

> http://www.netbsd.org/Ports/macppc/partitioning.html
>=20
> Now includes OSX Disk Utility and pdisk.

Very nice.

> Lacks detailed Linux info.

Maybe I can fill in a few of these.

Regarding the Introduction, I think that drives partitioned with Disk
Utility are fully usable by Linux, but I am not 100% certain, so I
suggest you replace the "?" in the two tables by "yes?".  As far as
file systems are concerned, the situation is as follow:

   format       Linux
   Apple HFS    yes [1]
   Apple HFS+   read-only [2]
   Apple UFS    read-only
   NetBSD FFS   read-only

[1] use in-kernel support with extreme caution, hfsutils are okay.
[2] in-kernel support from linux-hfsplus.sf.net, hfs+utils from penguinppc.=
org

For steps 7 and 8 of the section "Partitioning using pdisk ...", Linux
cannot create UFS, HFS+, or NetBSD FFS file systems.  It uses the
mkfs(8) command for creating ext2 file systems and hformat(1) for
creating hfs file systems, as in

 # mkfs -t ext2 <device>
 # hformat <device>

All file systems can be mounted using the mount(8) command with
appropriate options:

 NetBSD FFS     mount -t ufs -o ufstype=3D44bsd,ro <device> <mountpoint>
 UFS            mount -t ufs -o ufstype=3Dopenstep,ro <device> <mountpoint>
 HFS+           mount -t hfsplus -o ro <device> <mountpoint>
 HFS            mount -t hfs <device> <mountpoint>
 ext2           mount -t ext2 <device> <mountpoint>

As stated above, in-kernel support for HFS+ file systems requires a
patch, and HFS file systems are best accessed read-only.  For those
two file systems, user-space tools are also available, mounting is
then done with hmount(1) for HFS and hpmount(1) for HFS+.

Hope this is somewhat useful, and don't hesitate to ask if I've been
incomplete or unclear.

Regards, Jens.

--=20
J'qbpbe, le m'en fquz pe j'qbpbe!
Le veux aimeb et mqubib panz je p=E9zqbpbe je djuz tqtaj!