Subject: Re: unable to boot on powerbook G4 550MHz
To: Siegmund Fuhringer <sifu@0xx0.net>
From: Joseph Sarkes <jsarkes@mac.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 05/07/2003 15:09:21
On Wednesday, May 7, 2003, at 06:45 AM, Siegmund Fuhringer wrote:

> hi!
>
> i've installed netbsd on my powerbook :)
> but i'm unable to boot it :(
>

> after entering "boot hd:13,\ofwboot.xcf hd:12/netbsd" the kernel boots,
> but is apparently using the wrong partition as root filesystem:

Basically, I build myself a kernel with the desired boot device
specified in the config
file and it works fine. The work around is to boot in a multistep
fashion to be able to
use the -a flag to the kernel, which allows you to specify the root
filesystem.

first to a boot hd:13,\ofwboot.xcf hd:12,/yaya
this will load ofwboot.xcf and not find a valid netbsd kernel. you need
to do this
as the boot flags aren't grabbed properly for some reason.
now at the ofwboot prompt do hd:12,/netbsd -a
this will make you enter the desired partition ie. wd0f
Obviously, you remember what netbsd thought your filesystem device was
from the installation... The device numbering is confusing and swedish
cheffed
(muppets term, herdy gerdy bang bang...) so you may have to poke and
prod
to find your proper wd0a/wd0g/wd0f/wd0h or whatever things fall out as.
My ufs
partition ends up being hd:14 to ofwboot and wd0f if memory serves.
Hope this helps