Subject: beige G3 with second IDE drive
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Jan Schaumann <jschauma@netmeister.org>
List: port-macppc
Date: 04/23/2003 16:41:09
Hi all,

I just came into possession of a beige Power Macintosh G3.  I was able
to boot off the macppccd.iso and install NetBSD 1.6.1 on a second IDE
drive that I had put in.

But how do I boot the second IDE drive?

I was able to boot the CD by installing the NVRAMRC stuff, and then
setting

setenv boot-device ide1/disk@0:0,ofwboot.xcf
setenv boot-file ide1/disk@0:0,netbsd.macppc
reset-all

boot

Boot: netbsd.macppc

(Apparently I did have to specify the boot-file as above, but then
ofwboot did not find it, so I had to specify it by hand -- not
specifying the file lead to ofwboot not even starting.)

Anyway, I tried

setenv boot-device ide1/disk@0:8,ofwboot.xcf
setenv boot-file ide1/disk@0:13,/netbsd

and various variations on that theme, but to no avail.  Does anbyody
know how to boot the second ide drive?

Thanks!
-Jan

--
"When it's fall in New York, the air smells as if someone's been frying
goats in it, and if you are keen to breathe the best plan is to open a