Subject: Re : Boot NetBSD 1.6 iso on grey G3 OF 2.0f1
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: jideel <jideel@wanadoo.fr>
List: port-macppc
Date: 04/23/2003 12:34:28
Joe Laffey wrote:
 > On Thu, 17 Apr 2003, David Brownlee wrote:
 >

 >>	Trying a -current floppy gives (typing 'boot fd:0' twice)
 >>
 >>	    0 > boot fd:0 READ TIMEOUT can't OPEN:  fd:0
 >>	      ok
 >>	    0 > boot fd:0 -
 >>	    read stage 2 blocks: 0123456. done!
 >>	    starting stage 2...
 >>
 >>	    >> NetBSD/macppc OpenFirmware Boot, Revision 1.7
 >>	    >> (autobuild@tgm.daemon.org, Thu Apr 17 06:43:09 UTC 2003)
 >>	    READ TIMEOUTREAD TIMEOUTDEFAULT CATCH!, code=FFF00400 at [...]
 >>	      ok
 >>	    0 >
 >

 > I had to take the ofwboot.xcf from the 1.5.3 distribution and copy it
onto
 > a floppy along with the netbsd.gz from the 1.6 distribution. The
 > ofwboot.xcf that came with the 1.6 distribution caused this same
error for
 > me.
 >
 > We had a thread about this when I first had the problem, and I was under
 > the impression that the new ofwboot.xcf had some issues...
 >

 > --
 > Joe Laffey              |  Want to convert subnet masks between different
 > LAFFEY Computer Imaging |  notations, or figure the number of IPs in
a block?
 > St. Louis, MO           |  Whatmask-It's FREE -
www.laffeycomputer.com/wm.html

Same problem on my beige G3/266 revA DT, OpenFirmware 2.0f1, 128Mb ram,
4Gb seagate HD :
Tested with netbsd 1.6.1 (iso downloaded from the main ftp site, burned
with nero on a win2000 machine).

Trying to boot from CD (or hard drive) just gives me DEFAULT CATCH ! or
CAN'T OPEN.

Trying to boot from fd:0 on the floppy images (installation\floppy
directory),made with rawrite win, seems to start working, but before
being asked for the 2nd disk, got a lot of "READ TIMEOUT". If i insert
the 2nd disk when asked, it says : "/netbsd.gz not found", etc...

Unable to try to boot from an home-made floppy, because the install
kernel from the 1.6.1 ISO is too big to fit on an 1.44Mb floppy. Is
there any way to reduce it ?

As far as i can see, the official ISO is not a pure ISO9660 but an
hybrid ISO9660/HFS image, so OF 2.0f1 may not be able to boot from it.

I'v really rtfm many times, tried many devalias or absolute path to the
device(s), and applied system disk patches before it.

This evening i'll try to boot from a couple of new and clean floppies,
from an home-made pure ISO9660 cd, and from a small msdos partition
containing the install data on the ide hd.

Any more idea ?
Thanks