Subject: Re: boot on PowerBook G4 15"
To: Christopher Tribo <t1345@hopi.dtcc.edu>
From: Henry B. Hotz <hotz@jpl.nasa.gov>
List: port-macppc
Date: 04/14/2003 16:51:47
At 6:59 PM -0400 4/14/03, Christopher Tribo wrote:
>On Mon, 14 Apr 2003, Daniel Eggert wrote:
>
>>  AFAIK the keyboards in Apples iBooks and PowerBooks _are_ in fact ADB
>>  kayboards. That's why the 'console keyboard type: USB' doesn't work.
>
>	This is probably a huge oversimplification, but doesn't the target
>of the devalias kbd and mouse change depending on if you have a USB
>keyboard plugged in or not? Isn't it possible to grok this on boot and
>choose USB only if a USB keyboard is the target of devalias kbd and use
>ADB in any other case?

Haven't checked.

What I can tell you is that the Open Firmware routines you use to
access the keyboard changed and the code we put in to look for all
three possible routine names wound up making some wrong guesses as to
which routine to use.  The guesses in -current seem to match reality.

If you want details email Allan Briggs.  He got bit, and he put the
fixes in -current.