Subject: Re: boot on PowerBook G4 15"
To: ww@irl.styx.org, Dario Billo <dario.billo@LIBERO.IT>
From: Henry B. Hotz <hotz@jpl.nasa.gov>
List: port-macppc
Date: 04/14/2003 11:55:42
At 1:30 PM -0400 4/15/03, ww@irl.styx.org wrote:
>The other thing to watch out for is you need to keep OSX around in order to
>manipulate the bootloader (and kernel?) on an HFS partition. Unfortunately
>the released darwin code doesn't support the keyboard or monitor on these
>laptops....

Well, I wouldn't go that far.  You need the Apple partitioning tools,
and you can't use sysinst.  However all you need is a tiny HFS
partition to hold ofwboot.xcf so Open firmware can find it.

>Has anyone managed to successfully run netbsd on one of these things? If so,
>how? ;)

I have an early January -current on mine and it works OK.  It even
understands the NeXT-flavor ffs used by OSX.  I must admit that I
spend almost all my time in OSX on this machine though and it hasn't
had a good workout.

The TiBook has been through several revisions and we've had hickups
with each of them.  Mine is the second version, called Gigabit
Ethernet.  It's after the original and before the first DVI one.  I
think the model support page is pretty careful about the versions and
which works with what.

I had to plug in a USB keyboard to run the installer kernel so I
could run the /dev/MAKEDEV script (installer kernel was older).  I
did the rest of the install from OSX using the usual unix tools (tar,
vi), and never used sysinst at all.  The kernel actually from that
date worked fine so any newer snapshot should be OK for this model,
and probably the DVI one as well.