Subject: Re: Booting from hd-DOS partition
To: None <anselmg@t-online.de, port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Henry B. Hotz <hotz@jpl.nasa.gov>
List: port-macppc
Date: 04/08/2003 09:24:27
At 12:55 PM +0200 4/8/03, anselmg@t-online.de wrote:
>Is it possible to boot from a DOS partition (all partitions created
>with disklabel) with OF3 and ofwboot.xcf?

Yes, generically, because I understand some Linux setups work this
way.  That is I know OF3 supports it.

If you mean exactly like port-i386 then no, because nobody wants to
perpetrate the dual-map stuff they have with both a 'c' and a 'd'
partition meaning all of (some flavor of) the disk.

Likewise if you want to use the macppc installboot program to write
first-level boot blocks then no, because it only works for OF 1.0.5
machines and we never figured out how to generalize it.

Personally I think booting from an MBR partition (instead of an Apple
partition) could be interesting because it might be easier to get
something that would work for all OF versions.  And the necessary
tools could be independent of MacOS.  Please give it a whirl and let
us know what you discover.

Realistically, is it that big a deal putting ofwboot into a DOS
partition for booting vice putting it into an Apple partition for
booting?  It takes up space either way.  It's not in a BSD partition
either way.