Subject: Re: Where's 1.6.1RC3?
To: Darrin B. Jewell <dbj@netbsd.org>
From: Henry B. Hotz <hotz@jpl.nasa.gov>
List: port-macppc
Date: 04/04/2003 14:04:45
At 4:30 PM -0500 4/4/03, Darrin B. Jewell wrote:
>"Henry B. Hotz" <hotz@jpl.nasa.gov> writes:
>>  While I'm asking questions, does anyone know if the NeXT-ffs flavor
>>  support was pulled up to 1.6.1?  I don't see any way to make anything
>>  but NeXT-flavor CD's in OSX with the built-in tools, so it's really
>>  handy to have.
>>  --
>
>No, support for APPLE_UFS was not pulled up to 1.6.1.  As a new
>feature, it was not appropriate to risk disrupting the 1.6 branch
>stability.  It was committed to the cvs trunk and so will eventually
>be in a release.

Not a surprise.  Just asking.

>However, due to unresolved DEV_BSIZE related issues on the filesystem,
>you will not easily be able to mount NeXT-ffs cds even with this code.
>I have played with these in the lab, but do not have plans to solve
>this problem for NetBSD in the near future.

I *have* done it a couple of times.  Now I have the machine up with a
network connection it's not such a big deal.

If you're the one who did the support that's there then a big thank you!

>Even so, I expect that osX's tools can create iso9660 or iso9660/hfs
>hybrid cds.  At the very least, you should be able to use mkisofs and
>then disk copy to burn the resulting image.

They don't expose a lot of options.  I think the only one's I've
identified are iso/hfs hybrid and NeXT-ffs (called UFS).  Don't
understand what else I could do without buying Toast or some such.
(I have NetBSD on my TiBook, but it's a pain to cross-boot.)