Subject: Re: Memory-testing utilities?
To: Kevin Mudrick <kevin@furhurts.com>
From: John Gordon <john_94501@yahoo.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 04/04/2003 11:02:15
Hello,

> I'm relatively new to the netbsd world.  I just recently installed 1.6
> on my powermac 7500 (with a 604 processor card), mostly all is well,
> although sometimes I get random lockups, and can't do anything but hit
> the power button.  This happens while logged in via ssh from serial
> console, or ssh from a nearby computer.

Do you mean ssh over an ethernet connection in the latter case? There is a
known problem it seems with the serial driver (I posted something about it a
while back and was told that it was known). It can lock up, making the machine
appear to be locked.

I don't see it when using the network though (using ssh). When it is locked up,
have you tried pinging its ethernet network address from another machine? In my
case that was the clue that the thing was still running and it was just the
serial link that was down.

HTH,
John...

=====