Subject: UMAX C500 weirdness
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Christopher Tribo <t1345@hopi.dtcc.edu>
List: port-macppc
Date: 02/19/2003 01:56:53
OK, I'm running load-base 600000 and real-base F00000, booting from the
internal CD-ROM. I burned a pure ISO-9660 with EZ CD trasher, since the
hybrid ISO from netbsd.org doesn't work with pre OFW 3.x machines.

my boot command is boot scsi/sd@3:0,OFWBOOT.XCF;1

OFWBOOT loads and runs, finds the kernel, starts loading and either
freezes at the spinning pinwheel after printing the first magic number, or
it successfully loads the kernel, the screen clears, prints the NetBSD
copyright lines and then freezes. Same behaviour on a serial console as
well as local display. Am I missing something here?

Booting from floppy yeilds READ TIMEOUT@READ TIMEOUT@_READ TIMEOUT@\ and
prevents the load from completing. I'll keep trying disks, but I've gone
through about 10 so far with varying results. OpenFirmware seems to be
very particular about what it wants to boot. I never saw this with my
Beige G3.

Net booting this machine is not an option as it has no onboard NIC and I
do not have a card with a MacOS boot ROM or a flash chip capable of being
converted to MacOS.