Subject: Re: UMAX C500/C600 603ev -> G3 upgrade?
To: Christopher Tribo , <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Monroe Williams <monroe@pobox.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 02/18/2003 18:24:45
on 2/18/03 4:35 PM, Christopher Tribo at t1345@hopi.dtcc.edu wrote:

> Does anyone happen to know if the 603ev in the ZIF socket in these
> machines is pin compatible with a G3 (and if I can swap them out without
> the risk of under/over powering the CPU and/or frying something else)?

I don't know about the ZIF socket, but Sonnet makes this:

http://sonnettech.com/product/crescendo_l2.html

It's a G3 upgrade that plugs into the L2 cache slot.  (*shudder*)

I don't know whether it requires special software to spin up the CPU on the
upgrade card, or if the software that comes with it is just for enabling the
cache.  If the CPU needs special support, this upgrade may not function with
NetBSD.

They still seem to be pretty readily available, according to searches on the
various price-comparison sites.  About $180 for 400MHz or $230 for 500MHz.
(List price on the Sonnet site is $200/$250.)

According to this page:

http://macspeedzone.com/archive/5.0/upgradesmanufactureresults/UmaxC500_180.
html

There was once a ZIF upgrade made by MacTell that worked in these machines,
but this page looks pretty old.

Aha...  here we go.  This page is a listing of upgrade cards compatible with
the Umax C500/C600:

http://www.everymac.com/upgrade_cards/by_system/umax_alchemy.html

It looks like the Sonnet cards are the only ones still being manufactured.

Good luck,
-- monroe
Monroe Williams                                         monroe@pobox.com