Subject: ifconfig question
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Erik Osheim <osheim@sccs.swarthmore.edu>
List: port-macppc
Date: 02/11/2003 21:24:22
Hi again,

As long as I'm emailing the list about the mc0 interface, I should ask
about a problem that's stumped me for a couple of days.

I need to use aliasing with my internal interface; I can set it up
manually and it works great. I'd like to set both the actual IP and the
aliased IP on startup using the /etc/ifconfig.rtk1 file. However, so
far I haven't been able to get it to work. I remember doing something
like this awhile ago, but the syntax has escaped me.

I've naively tried something like this in the file:

--
inet 1.2.3.4 netmask 255.255.255.0 broadcast 1.2.3.255
alias 192.168.0.1 netmask 255.255.0.0 broadcast 192.168.255.255

but this doesn't work (it sets up the first IP, but doesn't do any
aliasing). I tried adding a semicolon-- no luck there either. I tried
putting it all on one line, but this doesn't work with the actual
command, so of course it didn't work in the file (didn't even set up
the 1st IP). If I do this from the commandline as two ifconfig commands
everything is peachy.

The manpage doesn't have any info on this and I'm not sure what to
search under on the net... anyone know how to do this?

Thanks,

-- Erik