Subject: Re: Working PCI wireless cards for a Power Mac 9500?
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: John Klos <john@sixgirls.org>
List: port-macppc
Date: 01/24/2003 06:44:40
Hello,

> I see in the install notes that AT&T/Lucent WaveLan IEEE PCMCIA cards
> are supported by the wi driver.  Are there any PCI card adapters known
> to work with NetBSD/macppc, specifically with a Power Mac 9500?

I finally had some time to test mine. My wireless card is a Lucent Bronze
(wi*), and the PCI adapter is a $10 USD Belkin card I got from Staples.
(The machine is a 7300 or so; shouldn't matter, as it should work on any
PowerMac with PCI)

To my dismay, the Belkin card did not show up as a pcmcia controller. I
guess, for $10, I shouldn't have expected it to... So I added this to my
kernel config file, and now I have wi:

wi*     at pci? dev ? function ?        # Intersil Prism Mini-PCI (802.11b)

This shows up in dmesg as:

wi0 at pci0 dev 15 function 0: Eumitcom WL11000P PCI WaveLAN/IEEE 802.11 (rev. 0x02)
wi0: interrupting at irq 25
wi0: 802.11 address 00:60:1d:1d:57:6d
wi0: using Unknown Lucent chip
wi0: Lucent Firmware: Station (7.28.1)

And in ifconfig as:

wi0: flags=8822<BROADCAST,NOTRAILERS,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
        nwid ""
        powersave off
        address: 00:60:1d:1d:57:6d
        media: IEEE802.11 autoselect