Subject: Preparing to install
To: NetBSD-PPC <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Bert Knabe <bknabe@mac.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 01/23/2003 00:27:50
I'm preparing to install NetBSD 1.6 on a Motorola Starmax 3000. I'm
carefully reading the install guide to avoid as many pitfalls as possible,
but I'm wondering if there is anyone out there who has installed NetBSD on a
similar machine (Starmax 3000/4000 or PowerPC 4400) and can warn me of any
hidden pitfalls. I don't have a processor upgrade, but I do have multiple
SCSI HD's, and two SCSI CD drives (1 burner and one reader) neither of which
are directly supported by Apple, so I don't know if they'll be supported by
NetBSD or not.

I also have a video card in addition to the on-board video. This has caused
me horrible grief trying to get X working in Linux. Can I expect the same
trouble with the BSD version? So far no one has been able to figure out why
I can't get X to work in Linux.

Thanks,
Bert