Subject: Blue iMac and USB keyboard
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Christian Smith <csmith@micromuse.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 01/09/2003 15:02:49
A question about problem #12894.

I booted from the netbsd.GENERIC_MD.gz kernel from the 1.6 release,
installed to the hard disk, but didn't have any MacOS system disks to hand
so could not boot from the hard disk.

No problem, I thought, the installation kernel didn't suffer from the
above problem, so I can just boot using that, specify the hard disk as the
root disk, and boot the system as normal.

Unfortunately, using the netbsd.GENERIC_MD.gz with the installed root
results in the USB keyboard problem described above.

So the question is, what does the internal ram disk in
netbsd.GENERIC_MD.gz do to get round the problem that isn't done in an
installed system? Surely if this kernel CAN work, what needs to be done to
make it work with another root?

I've not seen the above question addressed in any archives as far as I can
tell.

I haven't got access to the machine right now, but dmesg output can be had
if it'll help (though it's a pretty standard machine.)

Cheers,
Christian

--
"I've started referring to the proposed action against Iraq as Desert
Storm 1.1, since it reminds me of a Microsoft upgrade: it's expensive,

    /"\
    / \