Subject: Re: 300MHz beige G3 questions
To: Andy Ball <andy.ball@earthlink.net>
From: David Gatwood <dgatwood@gatwood.net>
List: port-macppc
Date: 12/06/2002 18:10:21
On Fri, 6 Dec 2002, Andy Ball wrote:

>    BS> The on board mesh SCSI connects to the internal ZIP
>      > drive if it has one.  The internal ATA is ATA-3,
>      > 16.6MB/s.
>
> Iomega don't seem to make internal SCSI Zip drives any more,
> which strikes me as a shame. That said, I loved the way that
> NetBSD 'just worked' with my USB Zip drive :-)

It's worth noting that many beige G3 machines had an ATA zip.  I'm not
sure when they changed over, but there was a definite changeover.  After
that, the onboard SCSI was only used for external devices.

It's also probably worth noting that the MESH controller was configured to
run at slow external bus speeds, but that its clock speed can be changed
in software to improve performance if the bus is clean enough to handle
it.  The Linux driver has either a run time or compile time option, I
forget which.  Scary.

Later,
David

David A. Gatwood                                dgatwood@gatwood.net