Subject: Re: 300MHz beige G3 questions
To: Andy Ball <andy.ball@earthlink.net>
From: Blair Stilwell <netbsd@hammock.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 12/06/2002 13:41:51
 >> He's thinking of upgrading its disk drive.  I've read that
 >> it supports "wide SCSI", but I'm not sure if this means
 >> single-ended, hvd or lvd (I'm guessing single-ended).  I'm
 >> also wondering about the speed of the SCSI bus (20MHz?)
 >
 > Almost certainly single-ended.  At a guess I'd say 10 MHz (20 MB/s if
 > wide).  You may get better deals buying ATA disks, but I can't address
 > the interface performance comparisons.

The on board SCSI is narrow (10MB/s, 5MB/s external). Many of the Beige
G3s also have an UltraWide PCI (40MB/s) adapter that is a 53c875 card
made by ATTO, installed at the factory.  If the computer has a factory
installed internal SCSI hard disk, most likely it has this add-on card
also factory installed.  I've also heard Apple substituted an Adaptec
2940UW on some beige G3s.  The on board mesh SCSI connects to the
internal ZIP drive if it has one.  The internal ATA is ATA-3, 16.6MB/s.

 >> Does his beige G3 support 5V cards, 3.3V or both? As
 >> you can tell, I'm not all that familiar with this model.

They support PCI 2.1 with both 3.3V and 5V power, 5V signaling.

Blair Stilwell