Subject: Re: PowerMac7500
To: Masao Uebayashi <uebayasi@pultek.co.jp>
From: Henry B. Hotz <hotz@jpl.nasa.gov>
List: port-macppc
Date: 12/06/2002 11:08:39
At 10:08 PM +0900 12/6/02, Masao Uebayashi wrote:
>Hello,
>
>Is NetBSD/macppc running on PowerMac 7500?  That is, older 601
>machines.
>
>(They are really cheap, easy to obtain, especially in Akihabara. :-)
>
>Masao

The 601 is still a problem, but it's trivial to upgrade the CPU to a
604.  Probably less than $20 since there are a lot of 604
daughtercards from 8500/9500 machines that were upgraded to G3's.

Lots of us use 7500's with either 604 or G3 upgrades in them for
NetBSD.  The brand of upgrade card doesn't seem to matter.  It "just
works".  In fact the ease of upgrading 7500's probably has a lot to
do with why the 601 isn't supported yet.  We'd rather upgrade than
spend a lot of time to make the machine run slower.  ;-)  (Of course
it would still be nice to support the 601 since that would be a step
toward supporting some other machines, and the 7200.)

If you go all the way to a G3 upgrade you may have to pay some
attention to coordinating its nvram patches with whatever might be
needed to get NetBSD to work.