Subject: Howto record fm-radio on macppc - part II
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Jens Liebau <liebau@rbg.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de>
List: port-macppc
Date: 11/04/2002 18:02:59
 >> Or is there any other option to record fm-radio?

 >If audio-in is supported (I've never tried), you could simply
 >connect the output of a receiver to the audio-in and record from that.

The thing I'm trying to is is setup a kind of radio-recorder. Which can
be programmed (webinterface or whatever) to record radioshows and switch
to the correct radio-channel. So simply connecting an normal radio to
line-in wouldn't work unfortunately in this scenario.

I received three mails with suggestions to patch conf.c to add the
necessary major device numbers for dev/bktr and dev/radio. I chose
numbers 63 and 64 cause these are the next free and unused in macppc.

This does the trick! Now i can use the tuner. Use it in some way.

bash-2.05# /usr/bin/radioctl -a
volume=0
frequency=83.50MHz
mute=on
stereo=off
card capabilities: stereo detect, hardware AFC

A Speaker connected to the cards line-out gives some noise. It's
possible to mute and unmute volume. The new problem i ran into is: even
if radiocl is able to switch frequency (or at last it says it is
switching frequency) I'm not able to tune in a channel and get some
useful audio on line out. All I get is noise. One crasy thing. I can't
change the volume setting. It remains 0 whatever I try, but even then
the card gives some noise on line out.

Right no I'm not shure if my fm-tuner is broken or if it's still a
driver related problem.

You can find the modified kernel, MAKEDEV and conf.c on
<http://130.83.219.14/~jens/netbsd_macppc/>

Please let me know if you're able to get some music out of a radio card.

regards,
Jens