Subject: Howto record fm-radio on macppc
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Jens Liebau <liebau@rbg.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de>
List: port-macppc
Date: 11/03/2002 21:49:15
Hi,

beside the booting problem of NetBSD on PM 4400 (see other message)
there is an other thing I'm trying  to do: I want to record some
fm-radio tunes and convert them to mp3. To do so I bought an Haupauge
WinTV PCI card (BT878) and placed it in an Beige G3 running NetBSD 1.6.

The card was recognized at boottime, but no driver was activated. So I
tried to compile an kernel with bktr support. GENERIC didn't include the
necessary config options so I took a look at the i386 GENERIC and copied
some parts to my macppc configfile. Building and booting the new kernel
went fine. Since macppc's MAKEDEV wasn't able to create a /dev/bktr0 and
/dev/radio0 I copied information on how to create these from i386
MAKEDEV and make these two devices.

Unfortunately these hacks didn't work. When I try to use the fm-tuner
with "/usr/bin/radioctl -a" I got this error "radioctl: /dev/radio open
error: Device not configured".

In some messages people notice the bktr driver works on i386 only. Don't
know if this is right or not. Cause it compiles fine for me. Does anyone
of you have a WinTV Card working? Or is there any other option to record
fm-radio?

regards,
Jens