Subject: all-in-ones
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Erik A. Osheim <osheim@sccs.swarthmore.edu>
List: port-macppc
Date: 10/29/2002 19:40:40
I am running NetBSD 1.6 on a 233 MHz Bondi iMac.

Everything is running well, but I am planning to use the machine as a
webserver, and am sort of worried about the screen. Currently, I have it
running in reverse-video (white text on black) and have a shell script
slowly printing ascii characters to keep the screen moving, but really, I
would like to have some way to turn the screen off while the machine is
running, to avoid burning/damaging the display. Normally I would unhook
the monitor, but in this case, that's obviously not feasible.

Are there any good solutions to this problem? I had hoped that I would be
able to put the display to sleep with a command, and then use another
command to awaken it.

Also, on a more minor note, does anyone know of any program or settings
that can be used to reverse the video of the console? Currently, if I start
and then kill xdm, the video is reversed (white text on black), whereas
normally it is black text on white.

-- Erik