Subject: Re: Disk controller speeds?
To: John Klos <john@sixgirls.org>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
List: port-macppc
Date: 10/29/2002 14:07:09
On Mon, Oct 28, 2002 at 06:12:02PM -0500, John Klos wrote:
> Hello,
>
> > > I was just using a Symbios card which used ultra SCSI speed (50 ns, wide),
> > > but I may need that elsewhere and I don't see why this Adaptec card won't
> > > do ultra speed. This Adaptec just came out of an i386 machine running
> > > NetBSD where it did the full 40 meg / sec.
> >
> > This is because the Adaptec BIOS is not run on the Mac, and the driver
> > use values from the BIOS
> > yes, this should be fixed ...
>
> Any idea where I can go to set this manually?

Probablty somewhere in the driver. I didn't look at it

> > > But, honestly, I don't know what CMD_BICSR and friends are, so I don't
> > > know why these tests are being performed and why UDMA_mode is being
> > > lowered.
> >
> > This is supposed to tell whenever the IDE cable is 40 or 80 pin.
> > Ae you sure your cable is Ultra-66 capable ?
>
> Yes, I'm sure it's an 80 pin, and I'm sure it's connected properly. It is
> the cable that came with the card, and the box they came in brags Ultra-66
> all over it.
>
> I suppose that's what CMD_BICSR_80 is for? How does thehardware determine
> what cable is in use?

For 80-pin cables, there is a pin strapped to ground on the connector, on
the controller side. This pin is unused and left floating on older cables.

Also, I think it's not strapped on all connectors, so if you plug the cable
backward, the controller may detect it as 40-pin.