Subject: Re: Netbsd/macppc 1.6 root device?
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Jake Feasel <jake@uaa.alaska.edu>
List: port-macppc
Date: 10/19/2002 14:31:55
Ok, as per your advice I installed 1.5.2 - the install went ok, very simi=
lar=20
to the 1.6 install.  Booting from the disk after the install gave me the =
same=20
prompt I was getting before (root device: , etc...) but now it went throu=
gh=20
after I entered the correct values (to much jubilation, I must say). =20

=09- side note: for some reason, /etc/rc.conf contained the line
=09=09rc_configured: NO
=09  and this caused me to drop into single user mode.  I had to remount=20
=09  the root partition as rw and edit this file, changing it to YES, and
=09  reboot, before I could finally get a login prompt.

=09- side note #2: I actually did get a wdc0:0:1 lost interrupt error onc=
=09  while trying to boot.  Rebooting and putting the same values in agai=
=09  got me through without that error.  I noticed in the macppc faq that=
 this
=09  is a problem often found in 1.5.2 - it should also be known that it =
does=20
=09  this in 1.6 too (at least on my PB 3400C)

Ok, so now I'm in my 1.5.2 netbsd/macppc system.   I want to compile my k=
ernel
with the correct boot values so I don't have to enter them each time.  Th=
e=20
kernel sources didn't get installed from the cd, so I need to ftp them do=
wn. =20
Wait! My NIC doesn't work!  It seems to not have any problems (dmesg does=
n't=20
complain, ifconfig recognizes de0 (this is the right device for this mode=
l,=20
yes?) , but dhclient doesn't get an ip back, and setting it manually does=
n't=20
do anything either.  I see in the faq that the solution to this problem i=
s by=20
setting the date to be the correct value.  Doing this, however, didn't ch=
ange=20
a thing.  Even after rebooting, it had no effect.

So my questions now are:
1) How do I fix my network device? (built in, comes back as de0)
2) How does one go about upgrading to the latest release of NetBSD from a=
=20
previously installed release? (I reallly would like 1.6 - 1.5.2 is quite =
old=20
and doesn't have some of the features I would really like.)

Again, thanks for your help.
Jake Feasel