Subject: Re: ? booting install cd on ANS 500
To: Joseph Sarkes <jsarkes@tiac.net>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
List: port-macppc
Date: 10/15/2002 13:55:29
On Tue, 15 Oct 2002, Joseph Sarkes wrote:

> On Tuesday, October 15, 2002, at 07:04 AM, Daniel Eggert wrote:
>

> > On s=F8ndag, okt 13, 2002, at 01:24 Europe/Copenhagen, Michael Bartosh
> > wrote:
> >
> >> OK, some progress-
> >>
> >> when I give the .gz as an argument to the boot cmd- ie-
> >>
> >> boot scsi-int/sd@0:,\OFWBOOT.XCF;1 NETBSD.GZ;1
>
> I think this type of command works when the machine is working with
> a cd9660 (iso) style image and not hfs. I get the impression from the
> install docs that some versions of earlier macs only work with iso
> filesystems
> and some with only hfs, and some with both. This could be partly a
> matter

All the ones that work with hfs work w/ cd9660, AFAIK, but you're right
that only OF 3.0 on seems to work w/ hfs.

> of how you burned the disk, as I ran into something like this on a
> powerbook
> G4 where I didn't burn the disk right, and it only saw the iso
> filenames in
> capitals, instead of the lower case filenames.

=2E..

> The upshot is that the filenames change depending upon the underlying
> filesystem that you are using, and the ofw dir command only works on ofw
> supported filesystems.  I don't recall if it is another netbsd port, or

I think the DIR command only works in later versions of OF too.

> linux which
> has a facility in the boot program that allows you to get a directory
> listing off
> of the disk. However, Since ofwboot alone knows what it understands, if
> it
> could give a directory listing from whatever it was reading from, it
> might help
> sort out these confusions. Maybe even partition info would be needed in
> some
> instances. Personally, I looked at the source for ofwboot and got
> somewhat
> confused, but think I may have finally figured out how it gets stuff
> off of different
> style filesystems, but am not at all sure. I find it a very surprising
> program.

Depends on the file name. ofwboot will try to have OF read the file,
permitting us to get files off of OF-readable file systems. If that fails,
we try to open what we think is the disk, and read a dislabel off of that.
That lets us load off of ffs partitions.

> >> ... I don't see the error about
> >>
> >> /netbsd: Inappropriate file type or formatt
> >>
> >> However the boot still hangs at the 0x800000 line
> >
> > What exactly are you seeing.
> > What do you mean by 'the 0x800000 line'?

From=20the EMail describing this, I'd suggest getting a new copy of ofwboot=
=2E
There was a bug in the one released with 1.6 which might be the problem.

You can get a new verison at
ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/misc/wrstuden/ofwboot.xcf

Take care,

Bill