Subject: Re: OF console (was Why floppy disk ejects?)
To: Michael Lorenz <ml@rz.uni-potsdam.de>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
List: port-macppc
Date: 10/11/2002 11:22:19
On Fri, 11 Oct 2002, Michael Lorenz wrote:

> Hello,
>
> >I don't know it is useful for you, but I modified my OF with a Debian
> >GNU/Linux install disks, and with nvsetenv command I changed auto-boot? to
> >false. So, every time I turn on the computer, I get into OF.
> That's not the problem, Command-Option-O-F does the trick. I just don't have anything besides the Mac that does RS422, so I can't access the console.
> As far as I can see my options are:
> - redirect output to the screen ( /bandit/pci-bridge/MTRX:Millennium doesn't work )
> - find another Mac to use as terminal
> - find some way to add a RS422 some other machine
> - find some RS232<->RS422 converter.

The latter are called modem cables. :-) Get either:

1) a mac modem cable and a RS232 null-modem,
2) A Laplink-mac cable (will have a mac serial plug on one side in
addition to DB9 and DB25 plugs)
3) a mac modem cable and a Laplink cable.

You have to be careful about if the PC wants DTR asserted, etc. But that
is just a matter of the right stty settings. After that, they work great.

I usually use option 3, but that's 'cause I have a bin of cables. :-)

Take care,

Bill