Subject: Re: OF console (was Why floppy disk ejects?)
To: Michael Lorenz <ml@rz.uni-potsdam.de>
From: Jeff <jeff@praeclara.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 10/11/2002 08:05:02
On Friday, October 11, 2002, at 07:46 AM, Michael Lorenz wrote:

> Hello,
>
>> I don't know it is useful for you, but I modified my OF with a Debian
>> GNU/Linux install disks, and with nvsetenv command I changed
>> auto-boot? to
>> false. So, every time I turn on the computer, I get into OF.
> That's not the problem, Command-Option-O-F does the trick. I just
> don't have anything besides the Mac that does RS422, so I can't access
> the console.
> As far as I can see my options are:
> - redirect output to the screen ( /bandit/pci-bridge/MTRX:Millennium
> doesn't work )
> - find another Mac to use as terminal
> - find some way to add a RS422 some other machine
> - find some RS232<->RS422 converter.
>
> ... so what's the most practical way ?

First, let me say that I did have a fully-functioning NetBSD 1.4.2
running on a 6360 a while back.  It didn't have X, and it ran via the
serial console.  One of the serial ports is dedicated to the modem, so
use the other one.  Set up OF with Boot Variables.  And then use ZTerm
on another Mac.  Boot from a floppy.  That's what worked for me.  One
problem I recall is that when I was setting the timezone after the
install, if I scrolled down too quickly in ZTerm, it froze the Mac.
Other than that I can't recall specifics, but there is likely to be
info in the archives, iirc I posted a Performa how-to to the list.
Might have been in '99 or '00.

HTHT,

Jeff

Jeffrey P. Hergan, Ph.D.