Subject: bootable cd
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Joseph Sarkes <jsarkes@tiac.net>
List: port-macppc
Date: 10/09/2002 23:27:09
This is both a data point, and some questions.

Firstly, I build -current from today, and then did MAKEDEV in the dev
directory of my
destdir. I copied netbsd and ofwboot.xcf into the root of my destdir.
Then I did a
mkisofs -r -hfs -part -o ../cd.iso .
and then burned the cd.

I managed to boot the cd on my dual G4 using the following
boot cd:,\ofwboot.xcf cd:,\netbsd
this loaded ofwboot but didn't get netbsd also.
when I got the boot prompt i entered netbsd (did I need to use /netbsd
vice \netbsd?)

The system came up fine, but a little slower than using a hard drive. I
could make a mfs /tmp
just fine, and assume that everything would work fine. This is a really
great capability, and I
am very VERY impressed :) and want to give a well done to those who
have done so much
work on the port.

Now for the questions.

1) what is the proper mkisofs type command to use? my /rescue directory
has individual
files vice hard links, which I thought the -r would cause to be created
by default per the man
page. The image ends up over 700Mb on the cd.

2) how does one use Xmacppc with an apple cinema display? (22 inch flat
panel)
I tried it and got what looked like no sync on a regular monitor. I
also see no config
file or instructions on how to generate one.

3) I build xsrc and ended up with Xmacppc again. how do you build the
xf86 version of
the xserver? and configure it?

4) i tried the ofwbuffer cache display option a while ago and got
system hangs during boot. is this fixed?
the display is very slow, and when the ofw is handling scrolling, I
lose keyboard interrupts, and
keystrokes are lost bigtime.

5) related questions re wscons... can you have multiple consoles like
on a pc platform? and if
so, how do you set it up? I had bad results with my trying this out a
while ago, but may have been
other errors.

6) can one use the superdrive to burn dvds under netbsd? if so, what
mastering program? I am
reluctant to just trash blanks experimenting as they are much more
expensive than the cd blanks.

Anyways, I am truly very impressed at how things are coming together.
One note is that the
release tar files are not currently building with some pretty blank
errors when build.sh
gets to that point, and if memory serves, it seemed the file lists
weren't found. or something
sounding like that.