Subject: dyndns
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Jeff <jeff@praeclara.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 10/04/2002 09:28:05
I'd like to install netbsd on a Powerbook G3 Series (Wallstreet) 266.
In the past I had a static ip.  Now I have dsl using PPPoE.  Is there a
way to do a simple ftp install of netbsd with pppoe?

I also have to run an imapd on the machine.  Is there a way to use
dyndns (I have custom dns service that allows me to use my domain name
'praeclara.com') and run servers (small, and just for my personal/home
use) on NetBSD?

I've spent two days trying to make this work using OS X Jaguar to no
avail.  I get errors when I compile uw-imapd.  Oddly, I have an iMac
that also runs Jaguar and there were no build probs with imapd or
anything else.  It's all working flawlessly on the iMac.  But the damn
powerbook, with the exact same software, craps out every time, even
after fresh installs on a reformatted drive.  Ugh.

So I'm back to good ol NetBSD which has never let me down in the past
on the laptop.

Thanks for any help,
Jeff

Jeffrey P. Hergan, Ph.D.