Subject: Re: DEFAULT CATCH errors on 6500
To: Matthieu Lalonde <mlalonde@ravesw.com>
From: Daniel Eggert <danieleggert@mac.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 10/01/2002 03:42:35
On Tuesday, Oct 01, 2002, at 02:19AM, Matthieu Lalonde <mlalonde@ravesw.com=
> wrote:

>I'm trying to boot of the 1.6 release iso from an internal scsi drive.
>SCSI ID 2
>I was able to go into the OpenFirmware with BootVar. but I can't boot=20
>of the cd.
> >dev scsi-int/sd@2
> >show-children show-children , unknown word
>ok
>
> >dir scsi-int/sd@2 can't OPEN the DIR device
>ok

Did you try to just boot without 'dir' or 'show-children'?
 boot scsi-int/sd@2:0,\ofwboot.xcf
I've had trouble with show-children from time to time, but can always boot.

>So I tried booting of a floppy with the kernel of 1.6 and the boot=20
>loader of 1.5.3 (i heard 1.6 didn't work well=BF)
> >dev fd:,\ ok
> >dir fd:,\ -
>NETBSD     .   008 0 0
>OFWBOOT .   XCF  020 AB0 D830
>BNETBSD  .   GZ 020 2 155AC3   ok
>
> >boot fd:,\ OFWBOOT.XCF NETBSD.GZ DEFAULR CATCH, code=3DFFF00300 at=20
>%SRR0: FF80C8AC %RR1: 00009070
>ok
>
>I really have no idea what is wrong
>BootVar is set as auto-boot off boot on appl/rom input KBD=20
>/bandit/(...) for the video
>load-base 600000
>real-base F00000
>
>Machine Specs:
>PowerMac 6500 / 250Mhz
>64Mb RAM
>6Gb HD (IDE)
>SCSI-INT:
>ID 0 CD-ROM
>ID 2 CD-R
>SCSI-EXT:
>ID 5 ZIP

If you're using the CD-ROM drive to boot off, you command should be:
  boot scsi-int/sd@0:0,\ofwboot.xcf
and not as above with '2:0'.

Daniel