Subject: Re: Unattended booting
To: Donald Lee <donlee_ppc1@icompute.com>
From: Henry B. Hotz <hotz@jpl.nasa.gov>
List: port-macppc
Date: 09/30/2002 09:26:40
At 7:05 PM -0500 9/29/02, Donald Lee wrote:
>OK.  I just want to be clear, this is what I understand.
>
>OF needs an HFS partition to load ofwboot.
>ofwboot needs installboot to poke a sector number for the kernel in a
>"magic place".

I think the confusion here is that OF 1.0.5 (and OF2.x?) need the
installboot magic (which blows away the APM and uses bootxx and plain
ofwboot).

OF 3.x needs an HFS partition containing ofwboot.xcf (*not* plain ofwboot).

These are two completely different disk configurations and they have
a number of other differences that go with them.  We can give you
better advise if you always are clear about which method you are
using.

Just to make things even more confusing some of us like to get into
discussions about how we might get around some of the above
divisions.  For example you can directly boot ofwboot.xcf on an OF 1
system if it's on an ms-dos floppy or a plain vanilla ISO9660 CD-ROM.
Just not from an HFS partition on a hard disk.  I'd like to try
OF1 for kicks some day (though that mightn't be useful for the port
overall).