Subject: Re: Booting a Beige G3 266mhz (OF 2.4) box
To: Kevin Keith Woo <kkwoo@sdf1.org>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
List: port-macppc
Date: 09/29/2002 18:24:25
On Mon, 30 Sep 2002, Kevin Keith Woo wrote:

> On Sun, 29 Sep 2002, Bill Studenmund wrote:
>
> Out of curiosity, has anyone suffered/experienced the above phenomenon
> before? It sounds like no-one else has seen this behaviour before.

The short transfers I've not seen, but the not being able to open a
specific file off of a file system I have seen.

> > I think the problems you're encountering now have little to do with OF 2.4
> > specifically (the :0 vs :1 bit does). One big problem is that we don't
> > really support opening a file from an hfs partition. If you renamed
> > netbsd_g.gz (why _g AND .gz?) to just netbsd, I think it'd work better.
> >

> The files are on an ISO9660 partition. I didn't make an hfs partition
> on the C i'm currently trying to boot. The file name was originally
> netbsd_generic.gz, so when I made a pure ISO9660 (I omitted
> 31-character extensions. Should I allow 31-character filenames?) the
> filename of the kernel was truncated to netbsd_g.gz. I'll rename the
> kernel file to netbsd on a new ISO, and try then new ISO.

Hmm. Try making a combo hfs/iso9660 disk. Also, there are instructions on
www.netbsd.org on making bootable CDs. Try the ones for a 2.4 system.

> > The problem is if we are passed ide1/disk@0:1,\NETBSD_G.GZ as a name, we
> > first try to see if OF can open the whole thing (I'm not sure why it
> > can't).
>
> I don't know why either. Perhaps we'll leave this issue for now, and
> perhaps we'll get some ideas later.

You had "no active pacakge" errors? We might be leaving a step off.

> > Then we try to have OF open "ide1/disk@0", and look for a NetBSD
> > disklabel,
>
> I didn't realise OFWBOOT.XCF looks for a NetBSD disklabel, so I didn't
> create any NetBSD disklabels on the ISO. Might this cause problems?

You really shouldn't need to make one. :-) There's got to be a way to do
it w/o one.

> > look in partition 1 therein, and look for NETBSD_G.GZ in there.
> > We really want to also try to have OF open "ide1/disk0:1" and look for
> > NETBSD_G.GZ in there.
> >

> On an ISO image, what is the difference between partition 0 (aka
> "ide1/dis@0:0" (correct me if i'm wrong)) and partition 1 (aka
> "ide1/disk@0:1" (again, correct me if i'm wrong))? I see identical
> directory listings when I invoke "dir ide1/disk@0:0",

:0 is supposed to be the "whole" disk, and :1 a partition. Since there's
no partition map, it might be that :1 defaults to the whole-disk file
system.

Take care,

Bill