Subject: 1.6 on ibook from bootable cd.
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Dan <kasper37@netzero.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 09/28/2002 12:12:01
After reading the install file a few times and attempting different
partitioning schemes a few times I am still confused about a few things.
BTW I am trying to install 1.6 from a bootable cd onto a tangerine iBook
(one usb, no firewire) with OF 3 and nvram v4.1.7f4.  My goal is to have
this be a strict NetBSD system, but I constantly see information about
partitioning for dual-boot systems so I'm not sure what part of the
partitioning I still need to do if I don't want macos anywhere on the
system.  Anyway, this is how I /think/ things are supposed to go along with
the questions associated with the step:

1) I need at least one HFS/HFS+ partition to put ofwboot.xcf on because OF
can't boot from anything other than those partitions.  How am I supposed to
create this partition?  I tried using Drive Setup (booting from the macos 9
cd) but the smallest partition it will let me create is 32MB.  If all I need
on the HFS/HFS+ partition is the ofwboot.xcf file then I won't need it
bigger than 100k (the file itself I believe is under 60k.  Also, do I need
to create my other partitions at this time too or can I create those with
the netbsd installer (assuming I want them to be ffs, which I do)?  And if I
do create them with the netbsd installer, will it recognise that HFS
partition that I created earlier and not demolish it?  (My goal is to have
all partitions be standard FFS (other than swap obviously) except for this
required HFS/HFS+ partition).

The rest of my questions kind of hinge on how I'm supposed to setup my
partitions, but assuming I have this HFS partition created, how and when do
I get ofwboot.xcf onto it?  From what I can tell this isn't part of the
standard NetBSD install.

Thanks for any help you can give.  I've got a couple more questions but they
depend on me answering these questions first.

Dan