Subject: Re: Booting problems
To: Charles Fultz <fultz@cs.purdue.edu>
From: David A. Gatwood <dgatwood@gatwood.net>
List: port-macppc
Date: 09/24/2002 13:24:24
On Tue, 24 Sep 2002, Charles Fultz wrote:

> So, I have this Power Computing Power Center clone. Several months
> ago I used BootVars to set the input-device and output-device to
> ttya. However, since then I have not gotten it to display anything
> to either the on-board video or the modem (ttya) port. I have
> tried pulling and reseating the RAM, cache, VRAM, and ROM, tried
> doing the CUDA reset, tried pulling the battery, tried
> Command-Option-P-R on boot up and none of those have resluted in
> any output from anything.
> When I turn it on, I get the startup sound, but no output.

Do the following:

1.  Unplug the machine.
2.  Remove the PRAM battery.
3.  Disconnect any outside source of capacitance such as the monitor,
external HD, etc.  Do -not- disconnect the keyboard.
4.  While the machine is off and unplugged, hold down the power key on the
keyboard for at least a minute.
5.  Walk away for at least 30 minutes.
6.  Reconnect everything.  Install a -new- battery unless the battery
tests at 3 volts or higher.

Particularly in older machines, there's a lot of capacitance in various
parts on the motherboard.  Holding down the power key with the unit off
reportedly causes the cuda to bleed off a large amount of this charge.
The extra thirty minutes should be largely unnecessary, but it never
hurts.

If that doesn't help, then I have no idea other than making sure
everything is connected correctly and that you didn't knock the video card
and/or cable loose or something similar.

Later,
David

David A. Gatwood                                dgatwood@gatwood.net
Developer Docs Writer                             dgatwood@apple.com