Subject: Re: 7300 : no Bootable HFS partition?
To: Joe Laffey , Francis <francis@koclas.com>
From: Henry B. Hotz <hotz@jpl.nasa.gov>
List: port-macppc
Date: 09/22/2002 14:48:20
At 3:18 PM -0500 9/22/02, Joe Laffey wrote:
>On Sun, 22 Sep 2002, Francis wrote:
>  > The installation was successful, although I can't boot in it! I used
>>  installboot -v -m macppc -t ffs /dev/rsd0a bootxx ofwboot which gave the
>>  following output :
>>

>I didn't need to use installboot at all, myself.

Let's not forget that installboot is used by sysinst.

>  > In the OpenFirmware I type setenv boot-device scsi-int/sd@0:5  (5 being
>>  /dev/sd0a) and setenv boot-file netbsd .
>

>I sued the parition 0 method (my entire disk is Netbsd). So I set my
>boot-device to scsi-int/sd@0:0
>
>Then boot-file netbsd.

"Partition 0" implies you have a boot partition in the Apple
Partition Map.  AFAIK the only way we have to create those is with
installboot.  AFAIK installboot still cannot leave an existing APM in
place so you wind up with a BSD-partitioned disk and a fake APM that
only supports OF booting.

>  >  1: Apple_partition_map Apple           63 @ 1
>>   2:      Apple_Driver43*Macintosh       54 @ 64
>>   3:      Apple_Driver43*Macintosh       74 @ 118
>>   4:           Apple_HFS MacOS         4096 @ 192      (  2.0M)
>>   5:     Apple_UNIX_SVR2 A/UX Root 17151864 @ 4288     (  8.2G)
>>   6:     Apple_UNIX_SVR2 Swap        786428 @ 17156156 (384.0M)
>>   7:          Apple_Free Extra            4 @ 17156152
>

>Look like you are mainly using the disk for NetBSD, with just an HFS
>partition for booting?? I am not sure why you would want to do this (I
>have not done this.. Is there a reason?). I made my entire disk NetBSD and
>just use the partition 0 loading. Works great, and no booting to MacOS aat
>all, or HFS partitions.

It depends on whether you have an OF 1.0.5 machine like the 7300, or
an OF 3.x machine like a G4.  The above APM would be the right way to
do it with an OF 3 machine.  What you say is the way we support
native booting on an OF 1 machine.  For an OF 3 machine you would put
ofwboot.xcf in the HFS partition and tell OF to boot it directly with
"boot hd:4,ofwboot.xcf ...".

Don't ask me about OF 2.x.