Subject: Re: 7300 : no Bootable HFS partition?
To: Francis <francis@koclas.com>
From: Joe Laffey <joe@laffeycomputer.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 09/22/2002 15:18:42
On Sun, 22 Sep 2002, Francis wrote:

> I just performed a NetBSD 1.6 install using the NetBSD 1.5.3 ofwboot.xcf
> and the 1.6 Install Kernel as it was suggested by /Joe Laffey /in the
> thread "7300 booting". I used that method since I was also getting the
> READ TIMEOUT errors when booting on the 1.6's boot.fs.

Glad it helped!

> The installation was successful, although I can't boot in it! I used
> installboot -v -m macppc -t ffs /dev/rsd0a bootxx ofwboot which gave the
> following output :

I didn't need to use installboot at all, myself.

> In the OpenFirmware I type setenv boot-device scsi-int/sd@0:5  (5 being
> /dev/sd0a) and setenv boot-file netbsd .

I sued the parition 0 method (my entire disk is Netbsd). So I set my
boot-device to scsi-int/sd@0:0

Then boot-file netbsd.

>  1: Apple_partition_map Apple           63 @ 1
>  2:      Apple_Driver43*Macintosh       54 @ 64
>  3:      Apple_Driver43*Macintosh       74 @ 118
>  4:           Apple_HFS MacOS         4096 @ 192      (  2.0M)
>  5:     Apple_UNIX_SVR2 A/UX Root 17151864 @ 4288     (  8.2G)
>  6:     Apple_UNIX_SVR2 Swap        786428 @ 17156156 (384.0M)
>  7:          Apple_Free Extra            4 @ 17156152

Look like you are mainly using the disk for NetBSD, with just an HFS
partition for booting?? I am not sure why you would want to do this (I
have not done this.. Is there a reason?). I made my entire disk NetBSD and
just use the partition 0 loading. Works great, and no booting to MacOS aat
all, or HFS partitions.

Now if I could only get my caches on my NewerTech G3 card to work...

--
Joe Laffey              |  Want to convert subnet masks between different
LAFFEY Computer Imaging |  notations, or figure the number of IPs in a block?